- Each roll is 10 sq. ft. (2’ x 5’)
- There are 50 rolls per pallet (500 sq. ft.)
- Sod is perishable and must be installed and watered immediately.
- Delivery is available for orders of 2 pallets (1,000 sq. ft.) or more.
- Minimum order for delivery is 2 pallets (1,000 sq. ft.)
- Sod must be ordered in pallet quantities of 500 sq. ft. increments
- There is a $55 delivery charge and for each pallet there is a $10 deposit, which is refunded on return of pallet.
- All deliveries must be pre-paid 72 hours prior to delivery and need at least 48 hours advanced notice for cancellation or rescheduling.
Prepare the Soil
- Rototill or spade the soil to a depth of 4 to 6 inches.
- Remove sticks, stones, roots and other debris.
- Smooth the soil by raking.
- With a broadcast spreader, spread one 40 lb. bag of pelletized lime per 1000 square feet, and Mahoney’s Garden Lover’s Starter Fertilizer.
- Firm the soil by lightly rolling. Fill in any low spots.
Lay the Sod
- Start at a straight line such as a driveway or walkway.
- Make sure all joints are butted tightly together, without overlapping or spaces between strips of sod.
- Stagger the joints in each row like rows of bricks.
- Use a large sharp knife for shaping sod around trees, at flower beds or along borders.
- Completely soak the sod with at least 1" of water. Start watering 20 minutes after the first strip is laid.
- Roll the sod to smooth out small bumps and air pockets. This will assure good contact with the soil.
Determine how many rolls of sod you will need by calculating the area of the space where you will be laying your sod by multiplying its length by its width and dividing that number by ten.
After determining how many rolls of sod you will need, make a reservation for the same day that you plan to lay the sod.
Because sod is perishable, it can only be held until noon on the day of the reservation.
Watering and Mowing Instructions
- To gauge watering, place an empty can about 6 inches away from the sprinkler.
- When there is an inch of water in the can, move the sprinkler to the next area.
- Reflected heat along buildings will dry your sod quickly. Be sure to water such areas more often.
- Your new lawn needs mowing 6 to 7 days after installation.
- Mow often enough so that you are never cutting off more than 1/3 of the height in a single mowing. Cutting more than a third off at a time will cause browning.
- Mow when grass height reaches 2.5 - 3 inches.
- Set your mower at a cutting height of 1.5 - 2 inches.